So Lady Gaga’s new single is kind of like these cupcakes: they seem fabulous and everyone raves about them, but on second thought they’re actually pretty bland and derivative. In the case of the cupcakes, I say they’re still worth a try. The nice thing about cupcakes is that you can remake them and tweak the recipe, which I highly suggest if you try this one at home. In the case of pop music, once it’s released it’s pretty much set in stone. Which is rather unfortunate given some of the awkward, racialized language that Gaga uses in Born this Way (“No matter black, white or beige / Chola or orient made”). Inspired by a great response over at feministing, I’ve tried to make a little bit more of a statement with this vlogisode. Let me know what you think!
- YAAAAY! I finally have a new vlog post! Check it out! youtu.be/L5thrlTQO4A 2 years ago
- @teganandsara: i made a vegan cooking music video to your fabulous new song!! youtu.be/L5thrlTQO4A #teganandsara #vgfk 2 years ago
- @KitLIX already have both! 2 years ago
- Standing room only at rethink premiere! #rethinklunch 2 years ago
- clark peters sighting on frenchmen! #thewire #treme 2 years ago